Pages

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

DIY: Upscaling with Magnets!

diy

Hello everyone, it's time for some DIY-ing so get your crafty glue and scissors out because this one is [hopefully] a fun one! So recently, the fridge has been looking a bit bland and I decide to spice it up with some pretty magnets. I have tons of those ugly business magnets that random businesses mail out and they are absolutely no use to me. Back when I was a little girl in elementary school, I bought my mother a porcelain plaque type thing at a school event. I gave it to my mother later that day - who loved it - but she didn't know where to place it. She and I both decided to turn it into a magnet. And that's where the creativity for this DIY was fished out from! Recently, however, the magnet I placed on the back of the plaque has been falling off so I created an improved version of this DIY! Enjoy~


Step 1:
Find some objects around the house that are small, not too heavy, and are flat at the back. Here, I'm using the plaque I bought, but you could also use stones or other sentimental objects.

See my reflection?
As you can see, the first time I made this plaque into a magnet, I used magnetic scraps from a magnetic checkers game (that I still have! haha). I was very creative in my youth. I scraped off the magnets and started with a clean slate.

Step 2:
Find a few business magnets that you do not need. You will be cutting these up, so make sure they aren't anything important! 

Place the magnets on the back of your object and trace out any parts that need to be cut. I cut out sections for the ribbon and I trimmed the edges a bit. Also, I did this part backwards. Make sure the magnet side is facing up. Luckily, the edges I needed to trim were all symmetrical so no worries! 

Step 3:
That is henna on my hand because I did this during Eid weekend! 
Use a very strong glue to glue down the magnets onto your object. I used Super Glue glue, but Hot Glue should also work. 

yay for weird lighting change
This is how mine turned out! Make sure you wait for the glue to dry before you place it on the fridge.

Finished!
I also found a few class marbles with flat backs, painted them, and cut out small circles to create cute little magnets! Also, these magnets are totally useful - they will hold papers up! 

~Misbah

No comments:

Post a Comment