Pages

Thursday, October 9, 2014

10 Misconceptions about Texas

1) We ride horses everywhere.

I don't how or even why this is still a misconception in today's time, but for some reason people assume all Texans have horses and they actually travel places with them. For the most part, few Texans actually own horses and I've never seen anyone ride them to get to another city. The only people who do own horses house them on ranches that are far from the city.

2) It's just a bunch of plains.

NO. Texas is fairly flat, however, we are very urbanized as well. We have tons of cities and beautiful landforms. We have lakes, rivers, natural pools, mountains, hills, whatever you can think of! Texas is a place where you have to really search to find pretty sanctuaries, but when you do find these sanctuaries, it will most likely be breathtaking.

3) We say "Y'all" a lot.

This is FALSE. Most Texans do have the habit of saying "y'all" but not all. (Hehe that rhymed) I for one, do not say unless I'm poking fun at Texan culture. I've heard people who aren't even from Texas in different states who say this word.

4) We all have an accent.

The only people I know who really have an accent down here are George Bush and Rick Perry. Most Texans do not have distinct accents and if they do, they are not Texan accents. I've heard tons of accents but nothing similar to how the former president and the current governor speak.

5) We always wear cowboy boots and hats.

I have never owned a pair of cowboy boots or a cowboy hat in my life and I have lived in Texas for a good majority of my life. I have never seen anyone wear cowboy boots/hat unless they are from West Texas. Otherwise, seeing a person wear these is pretty rare.

6) We are just a bunch of republicans.

Although Texas is primarily a "red" state, not all of us are part of the Republican party. In fact, there's tons of us especially in North Texas who are part of the Democratic party. Texas is primarily a state made of up people from many other states.

7) We all want to secede.

OKAY. Just because our ridiculous governor suggested to secede, does not mean the entirety of Texas wants to. In fact, the majority of us thought Perry was crazy.

8) We put butter in everything.

Just because Paula Deen puts an unrelenting amount of butter in all of her dishes, does not mean every Texan/Southerner does. Sure, there are probably those few "Southern delicacy" dishes that I don't even know about that might have a large amount of butter in them. The only use of butter in my house is in baking shortbread cookies!

9) It gets really hot down here.

FALSE. I gets hot in Texas, especially in July, but the high is usually 95 degrees and on a really sunny day, it gets to 101. This is hot, but not as hot as other Southern states. Plus, at one point during this past summer, it was cooler down in Dallas, Texas than it was in Chicago, Illinois. It's actually not that bad if you cover yourself, wear a sun hat, and mostly just stay indoors! When I was in Chicago, I thought it was super hot up there!

10) Everything we eat is deep-fried.

This is only true if you go to the Texas State Fair. Very few places deep-fry their foods and the South follows the rest of the nation's trend into eating healthy! We may seem like a totally different species down here, but we're actually just like you.

Here's just a few misconceptions about Texas. The last few I put together hastily since I am getting super tired so I apologize for lack of explanation or any grammatical errors. If you've never been to Texas, I definitely recommend you take a trip here! It's actually much more beautiful than you think. Texas is full of quirky people, great culture, fantastic food, and just overall beauty in the oddest of places.

~Misbah

No comments:

Post a Comment