Pages

Monday, August 4, 2014

DIY Hexagonal Nut Bracelet

I would like to begin this post by apologizing for the incredibly weird lighting changes throughout the entire post. The sun was leaving me and I had to make up for it by using fluorescent bulbs (ugh).

Now that we've got that out of the way, I'd like to mention that this is such a creative little way of making jewelry! I absolutely love taking weird things and making them into something awesome. Before we begin the tutorial, I'm just going to mention that this DIY was actually a bit difficult for me and did take a bit of practice before I got the hang of it mainly because I'm not used to braiding things other than my hair. If you braid string and other things often, this may be super simple and if not, this may be challenging. Regardless, it's fun!

Materials:
For this super cool project, you will need about 18 hex nuts and twine! I bought the hex nuts at Home Depot and there were 6 in one pack for $1.89. The twine was from Walmart and I bought this twine a long time ago so I have no clue how much it is, but it's probably no more than $2. 

Step 1:
Cut three pieces of twine in lengths of 2 feet. Personally, I only had to use one foot because I was blessed with an awkwardly skinny body and my wrists are very boney. Then create a knot with a loop on one end of the twine bundle, pictured above.

Step 2:
Begin braiding the twine. I braided until 1 inch, however feel free to braid more depending on your wrist size.

Step 3:
This is where life became complicated. Feed a nut through the left or right side of the braid (whichever goes next in your braid), then cross over while holding the hex nut in place with your thumb at the base of the braid. Then feed a nut through the other side and cross over. Repeat with all the nuts. Always keep your thumb at the base, holding the nuts in place or else your bracelet will go all over the place. That happened to me and I had to start over many times. Do not be discouraged if you do not get this right away, it required quite a bit of practice for me!

Step 4:
After you are finished braiding all the hex nuts, continue braiding with a regular braid for the same length you began with on the bracelet. I braided for another 1 inch.

Step 5:
After you finish the regular braid, tie a tight knot to complete the braid. Measure out how much more twine you need for bracelet sizing. Then tie another knot to complete the sizing. Based on how large the loop you created in the first step, you may need to double or even triple knot. I recommend putting clear nail polish on all the knots created so that it will be secured.

Finished!
And here is my arm candy.

I hope you all enjoyed this tutorial and leave a comment telling me how it went for you!

~Misbah

1 comment:

  1. Ah! What a gorgeous bracelet, this is definitely one I'm going to have to try! I just love the way it looks! Plus, it easy! Thanks for sharing =)

    http://hansenandheidelberg.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete