Pages

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

DIY: Convert an Old Book to a Journal

While summer cleaning out my closet, I found a bunch of old daily calendars and address books (who even uses those?!) among other school supplies. Some of the daily calendars were super cute and I just couldn't throw them away! I decided to turn them into journals/art books! 

Materials:
Old book, large paint brush, white paint
Normally, you would buy this paint type of material called Gesso which artists usually use to convert old books into suitable canvases for sketching. Gesso does not come in small containers and I didn't need a gallon of the stuff so I used white paint instead! It works just as well :)

Procedure:
Take a bunch of white paint and slather it onto the pages of the book. Wait for it to dry, then add another coat. Repeat until the words/drawings on the page are almost gone. However, some people (me included) like the look of words in the background of sketches, so you can always stop after one or two coats. 

I had to use two coats on my pages to cover them faintly. Here is a comparison! 

 And I doodled on mine! As for the cover, I cut a piece of card stock with my name on it and taped it down on the "Address Book" print with washi tape! Get super creative with stickers, ribbons, construction paper and other cool supplies! Share your creative journals with me by sending them to my email: coffeeandkhajoor@gmail.com 

~Misbah


No comments:

Post a Comment