Pages

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Magazine Series: DIY Wrapping Paper

It's finally here! Part 2 of my magazine series is quick and super easy. Using magazine pages as an alternative to wrapping is great if you're looking for something that's cheap and cute! Magazine pages create a cute look to any present and it's very unique. Of course, you are limited to how large your gifts can be since magazines are not that huge, BUT that's what makes it even more adorable because all your gifts are tiny and tiny things are always appealing. 

What you will need:
Any magazine, the item you will be wrapping, scissors, and tape
I used an old Seventeen magazine and I admit, finding cute pages was a bit difficult since most of it was advertising. I ended up using the outfit collage pages since that was the best I could find. I do recommend using other magazines such as Real Simple or Good Housekeeping. 


Step 1:
Tear out a page and pick which side you want showing on the outside and which side will be on the inside. Place the present in the center of the page. I ended up changing my mind and used the pictured side as the outside instead of the inside. The present I'm using is this mini makeup kit I was gifted and I was just using it for the sake of this tutorial. I love this gift and will not be sharing hehe...

Step 2:
Fold both pages over each other to meet in the center. Then place a piece of tape, vertically, in the center.

Step 3:
This step is completely optional because it depends on the size of the gift. My "gift" was super small so I trimmed the edges a bit. 

Step 4:
Fold the sides inwards. Honestly, if you're new to gift wrapping, there's no easy way to explain this step in words. So here's my best attempt: you take the two ends on the sides and just push them inwards together! 

Step 5:

After folding in the sides, you should have something similar to a triangle shown in step 4. Fold the triangle inwards while folding the entire flap up. Perfect it by folding the triangle piece more. Then tape it down! Repeat on the other side. (If you're lost, it's okay. I can't explain it well, but follow the picture). 

Finished!
It should looking something like the above! If not, keep trying. When I first began gift wrapping, I had quite a bit of trouble and all of my folds were messy and uneven. If you want to get more creative with this project, I recommend using washi tape which is a japanese paper tape. I buy a roll of 10 tapes for about $1-$2 on eBay! I also suggest creating a bow out of solid-colored magazine paper and placing it in the corner just for a cute embellishment! 

~Misbah


No comments:

Post a Comment