Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Magazine Series: DIY Beads

I love this last part of the DIY with Magazines series because it's simple and fun! Magazine beads are so easy to create and they make beautiful bracelets and necklaces. I was inspired for this project by the Student Rebuild: Water Challenge! Have fun making this super simple project great for any age! 

Materials:
Magazine, paint brush, Mod Podge (optional), scissors
The Mod Podge (and paintbrush) is completely optional because the beads need to be sealed with something, but you can buy any type of spray sealant or just any sealant that suits you! I chose Mod Podge because that's what I always work with. If you plan on making jewelry out of these beads, I suggest you also buy jewelry wire or string. ALSO. you will need a glue stick. Like I've said before, I am constantly crafting but I never seem to buy a glue stick so I just use Mod Podge. It's my best friend.

Step 1:
Tear a bunch of pages out! I created my bracelet with just one page, but my wrist is fairly small and it was merely a bracelet. If you're not sure how many beads you will need, I would recommend tearing out 2 pages. I tried to choose magazine pages that were a certain theme - browns and blacks. Try to choose pages that fit your color scheme so you can have your bracelet different shades of one color. 

Step 2:
Begin drawing long triangles like so on your page. I used a sharpie to draw them because it creates this nice edge on the beads. This step is completely optional as some people go ahead and free cut their strips into triangles. NOTE: The width of your triangles will determine how big or small your beads will be. If you want smaller beads, make small triangles and vice versa.

Step 3:
Cut out the triangle strips.

Step 4:
Roll up each strip starting with the wider side first. When you have about 2 inches of the strip left to roll, place glue on it and continue to roll until your bead is finished! Continue to roll and glue until you've finished all your strips. Roll and glue...roll and glue...

Once you have all of your beads completed, seal them! This will keep them from getting dirty, water logged, and unraveling!

Step 5:
After your beads are all finished drying, use jewelry wire to create a necklace or bracelet! I used stretchy cord because I was feeling lazy.

Finished!
Here's my finished bracelet! I really like how it turned out, especially with the Sharpie edging. You don't have to limit yourself to simply bracelets and necklaces! Use your creativity to create a keychain or maybe earrings. Don't be afraid to experiment with any of these projects.

~Misbah

No comments:

Post a Comment