Pages

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Pecan, Oats, and Dark-Chocolate Chunk Cookies Recipe

Hello everyone! So I kind of went on a baking spree this past weekend...AND IT WAS AWESOME. I keep finding all these cool and healthy recipes in magazines and around G+ that I decided to try out a few recipes and tweak them for you guys. Today's recipe is all about that clean eating everyone has been tweeting and talking about!

Pecans, oats, and dark-chocolate - YUM! Who couldn't resist this recipe that sounds delicious simply by the title?! This recipe definitely caught my eye because it's so simple and something that anyone can bake. Because these cookies are filled with protein, they're a great afternoon snack to wake you up and get energized and the chocolate in them makes these suitable for your kids to {hopefully} love!



While baking, I followed the directions exactly as stated and after the cookies were all finished, I reflected on what should be changed.

I didn't run into any problems with this recipe because it's simple and easy. However, the yield is stated as 20 and I definitely made about 40 cookies. Cookies expand when you bake them so if you want to make 20 cookies, you will end up with HUGE cookies. My family likes snack size cookies so I had to make the cookies tinier which resulted in 40 cookies but I'm not complaining because there's more to go around!


The next issue is the baking time. Of course all ovens are different, but I would recommend for you to watch the bottom of your cookies towards the end of the baking time so they won't burn! I put my cookies in for 20 minutes and I rotated them at 10 minutes, however when I took them out, I realized that they were almost to burning point. For me, I will definitely put them in for around 17 minutes instead of 20.


Last tip: The directions say to pulse the pecans in a food processor, but let's be real. 2015 is all about the NutriBullet or the Ninja so yes, I used the Ninja to pulse my pecans and you should too!


Enough talking now! Let's get to this scrumptious recipe:

Prep: 30 minutes
Total time: 1hr 10min
Yield: 20 (varies by preferred size of cookies)

Ingredients:
- 4 cups chopped pecans
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces of dark chocolate, chopped (1 cup)

Directions:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- Working in batches (I had two batches of two cups each) pulse pecan in a food process until finely ground
- Transfer ground pecans to a bowl and stir in all dry ingredients except for chocolate
- Make a well in the center of the mixture and add the wet ingredients and stir to combine into a dough. Then fold in the chocolate.
- Scoop dough however large you wish onto parchment-lined baking sheets and slightly flatten each scoop with the palm of your hand
- Bake until light golden, for about 20 minutes and rotate sheets once. Cool on wire rack before serving.

If you tried this recipe out, let me know how it went for you by leaving a comment below or emailing me at coffeeandkhajoor@gmail.com. Also, if you would like to see more photos of my baking adventures, follow me on Instagram @mmahmed or lookup #MisbahBakes !

This recipe was originally from Martha Stewart Living.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info. Chopped dates supplier in Czech

    ReplyDelete