Pages

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Guilt-Free Chocolate Cake Recipe

Hello everyone! So the other day, I was scrolling along on G+ and I came across this recipe that Food Network had shared. Normally, chocolate cake recipes don't interest me unless there's a really tasty twist to it, however, this one caught my eye because it was only 5 ingredients and it's completely healthy!
4b5e33110ce7f31918456701c51264e579cefd0dc1599e10ac

Can we acknowledge how versatile this cake is?! It's a good cake for your parents, elders, or anyone else who is wanting to watch what they eat for health concerns, but they still want to enjoy a nice chocolate cake! Also, this is a great cake for those "cheat days" workout gurus have because technically, you're not even cheating! My family loved this cake, however be warned that the dark chocolate in this recipe is VERY rich. This cake is bittersweet and a little on the dry side, nonetheless, it is still delicious! But be warned, if you're not into dark chocolate, this might not be the cake for you!

I think this recipe has a lot of potential for adjustments, substitutions, and additions. Being Misbah, I definitely {and purposely} screwed up somewhere along the way and made some minor adjustments.


So first off, I was not able to find a 5oz bar of Baker's chocolate in Walmart - they only come in 4oz bars so I'm not sure why the recipe calls for 5oz...so to make it 5oz, I just added in some semisweet chocolate chips. I would not recommend doing this because the chocolate chips do not melt as quickly as the Baker's chocolate and you end up with this weird lump of chocolate at the bottom of your bowl during double boiling yaaaaay! I ended up fixing it by vigorously stirring the chocolate so it's not a completely terrible idea.

Next, I did not have any ramekins whatsoever and I was too lazy to buy them SO I just went ahead and poured the batter in a regular cake pan. Yes, the cake turned out fine and all, but there were a few weird happenings as the cake was baking. First, the cake started growing and folding up on the sides of the pan?? THEN, what looked like a huge air bubble began baking in the middle and after I took out the cake, it turned out that it was not an air bubble but in fact a large blog of cake that didn't spread out very well and baked upwards. LASTLY, after the cake was finished baking, it began to shrink incredibly fast. The shrinking was expected, but nonetheless freaky. I kid you not, this cake has a mind of its own.



Ingredients:
- 5 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 large eggs plus 1 large egg white

Directions:
- Preheat oven at 375 degrees F
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil together using the double boiler method, then place the mixture in a ice bath, and stir in the cocoa powder and honey
- Whisk the eggs into the mixture and pour in eight 4oz ramekins, filling them about halfway
- Place ramekins on baking sheet and bake until almost set in the middle - it should take about 20 to 25 minutes.

In the end, this cake turned out great! It was still very tasty and now I get to savor the cake instead of quickly eating it out of ramekins. My baking mishaps are proof that you can totally mess up and still come out of the kitchen with a delicious baked good that looks kind of presentable!

Let me know if you tried this cake and share with me how it turned out by leaving a comment below or emailing me at coffeeandkhajoor@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment