Pages

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Hair Care Routine for Curly Hair

I have super curly hair that I get mostly from my mother. When I was younger, I used to hate my curls. I would straighten them, tie them up, and downright abuse them all the time. As I got older, I realized what a blessing it is to have curly hair. Some people would kill to have curly locks! I began to accept my super curly and frizzy hair and started to maintain it the right way. It did take me a while to figure out what products worked well and which didn't. I've had SO MANY PEOPLE come to me and ask, "Is your hair natural? What do you do with it? How are your curls so maintained??". Yes, my hair is naturally curly and this post is all about how I control these locks :)

Step 1: I shampoo and condition with Head and Shoulder's Smooth and Silky 24-hour Frizz Control. Curly hair is ALWAYS frizzy and poofy. This shampoo/conditioner work together to tame my hair and make it soft and silky!

Step 2: Do not blow dry or towel dry. Adding heat to curls only causes them to become more frizzy and towel drying your hair - especially if your hair is super dry - causes natural oils to strip. I always air dry - I know, life is hard.

Step 3: While my hair is wet, I spray It's a 10 Miracle Leave In to untangle my hair, calm frizz, and give it shine. I comb through it, not styling it quite yet.

Step 4: I spray Fructis Garnier's Triple Nutrition Miracle Dry Oil because I have a dry scalp and dry hair. This oil helps lock in moisture so my hair will stay frizz free. If you have oily hair, you definitely need to skip this step.

Step 5: I begin styling it and combing out my bangs/face frame. While I'm styling, I spray in a bit of Aussie's Leave In Conditioner to combat humid days and poofiness.

Step 6: After my hair is all set in the way I want, I finish it up with a dime-size blob of mousse specifically for curly hair. I use Miss Jessie's Pillow Soft Curls Hair Lotion because this stuff makes my hair so soft and makes sure my curls don't fall.

Extra Tips:
- I never brush through my curly hair with an actual brush - I only comb through when it's wet. I use my fingers to brush through because a brush will poof your hair up and cause triangle hair.
- Don't use too much of any product you put in your hair. Sometimes, multiple products can severely weigh down your curls, giving you flathead.
- I wash my hair every three days because three day hair is the bessssst.
- I have super short bangs that look really weird when completely curled. I use a straightener on low to lightly go through my bangs and give them a wavy look.
- If you have tons of baby hair, Aussie's Leave In Conditioner will fix that.
- Always tie your hair in a loose bun when you go to sleep.
- I do shampoo/condition my hair once a week with Renewing Moroccan Argan Oil because this does wonders for curly hurr.

This may seem like a long process but it only takes me about 5 minutes, 10 minutes if I'm having a bad hair day.

~Misbah

No comments:

Post a Comment