Pages

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Parmesan and Herb Bread Recipe


Hello everyone! It's been a dreary Sunday - rainy and cloudy all day so it felt like it was 6pm when I woke up at 10am. My mother recently found a bunch of sweet and savory bread recipes from her Food Network magazine! She suggested I try one and I decided to go with a savory recipe.


I was super excited to bake this bread because it looked so delicious! Plus, warm freshly baked bread is the best on a dreary day like today. Below is the recipe/baking process. Leave a comment if you tried this and let me know what you think!

Ingredients:
- 2 sliced onions
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons each chopped rosemary and thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Olive oil or butter for caramelizing

Step 1:

Caramelize the onions in olive oil
Because  I wanted my onions to be super brown, I spent about 30-40 minutes caramelizing them in medium to low heat. It just depends on how sweet you want them. The longer you cook them, the sweeter they become. If you do not know how to caramelize onions, I recommend watching this video

Step 2:
Whisk the wet ingredients together.
Wet ingredients: sour cream, vegetable oil, eggs

Step 3:

Whisk the dry ingredients together.
Dry ingredients: flour, parmesan, sugar, rosemary and thyme, baking powder, lemon zest, salt and pepper, baking soda.


I decided not to use thyme (mainly because I didn't want to go out and buy it), but I did chop up some rosemary straight from our garden!

Step 4: 
Add the onions into the whisked dry ingredients

Step 5: 
Fold in all the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.

Step 6:

Place batter into a 9in x 5in loaf pan. 
You could place parchment paper into the pan with overhang and then coat the parchment paper with Pam. However, I did not have parchment paper and was not sure if my wax paper was sufficient so I just coated the pan with Pam.

Step 7:

Bake for 40 to 50 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. 

Finished!
parmesan herb bread
Let the loaf cool for about 1 hour before you remove it from the pan.

Enjoy that scrumptious bread :)
~Misbah

No comments:

Post a Comment